Below are my notes and questions I used for the Lead$ Summit today at the Broken Arrow Chamber of Commerce. Use these notes to help you “retool” for the New Year! Feel free to leave comments below.
Presented by: Kevin Jacobs, CFP®, EA
Owner of Step By Step Financial, LLC
Definition of Character
- “The ability to meet the demands of reality.”
- Dr. Henry Cloud, Integrity, pg. 24
Aspects of Character
- “The ability to connect authentically (which leads to trust).”
- “The ability to be oriented toward the truth (which leads to finding and operating in reality).”
- The ability to work in a way that gets results and finishes well (which leads to reaching goals, profits or the mission).”
- The ability to embrace, engage, and deal with the negative (which leads to ending problems, resolving them or transforming them).”
- The ability to be oriented toward growth (which leads to increase).”
- The ability to be transcendent(which leads to enlargement of the bigger picture and oneself).”
- Dr. Henry Cloud, Integrity, pg. 35
With knowing the definition of character, now we can progress at evaluating our life and retooling for the future.
- Are there things you want to do that you haven’t done yet?
- What is not working in your life?
- Is your life in balance?
- Do you have enough leisure time, vacations, travel, hobbies, and fun in your life?
- What is your “top ten” list and what are you doing do achieve them?
- What are 10 things you most love doing?
- Are there any big adventures you want to have?
- How’s your health? Are there changes you want to make?
- Do you want to reduce stress or increase your level of fitness?
- Are there areas of personal growth that you would like to pursue?
- Is there a degree or professional designation you want to receive? What steps are you taking to achieve it?
- Are you as involved as you would like in your community?
- Are your friendships what you would like them to be, in terms of both quality and quantity?
Vocational / Business
- Are you happy in your current career or profession?
- Is it rewarding for you?
- Do you want to increase your income?
- Is your business profitable?
- Do you want to start a business?
- Are there planning or marketing ideas you would like to pursue for your business?
- Are you working a reasonable number of hours?
- Have you set your 2011 business activity and income goals?
- What priority does money take in your life?
- What are you building wealth for?
- How much do you need?
- Are there changes you would like to make in your income, expenses, cash flow, debt, savings, reserves, emergency funds, investing, taxes, or net worth, for example?
- Are you making the progress toward your retirement / financial independence that you would like?
- Are there any impending financial decisions that you need to plan for?
- Is college education funding for your children / grandchildren satisfactory?
- Are there any changes or improvements you need to make to your home?
- Is your estate planning up to date? Are you on track to leave the end-of-life gifts you want to make?
- Have you reviewed your insurances recently?
- Are there family goals you have – trips, more time together, for instance?
- How is your relationship with your spouse?
- How are your relationships with your children?
- How are your relationships with other family members – siblings, parents, confidants?
- Are your family members taken care of for the future?
- Do the important people in your life know how much you love and care for them?
Philanthropy/ Charitable Giving
- Do you want to volunteer more – or differently?
- Are your charitable contributions at the level you would like?
- Are you satisfied with the legacy you plan on leaving?
- Are there things you want to simplify or consolidate in your life?
- How is your spiritual / religious life? What can you do to improve it?
- Are there any spiritual growth activities you want to participate in?